Sunday, May 4, 2008

And then there where Four

As many of you know I have Discus. No not the kind you use in field and track but the kind that swim, as in Fish.

My Discus are about 5ish. I got them in 03 and they where all at different ages. I started with 6, and ssh my Mom still thinks Paul gave them to me. I lost the youngest of them maybe at two years.

I have now nursed these fish though several power outages including 4 days in which every two to four hours water was taken out of the tank, heated on the barbecue and placed back in the tank trying to keep them warm. They did have to tough out the 6 day outage after the windstorm of 06 but they've been well loved.

Well now there are four and it's seems rather sad. I had noticed several days ago this one didn't seem quite right, and it has always been the 1st of the group to look sideways if there has been a outage or a water in-balance, and I though on no I'm going to loose him.

That was like 4 days ago, and somewhere along the line I had started to think we where going to pull though. But the poor guy had been laying on the bottom of the tank for the last few days and I had started to wish he would either get better or pass on as I felt we where both in agony over the last few days, I had been checking him on and off all day as I didn't want the others to be picking on him (they all look fine).

I was all set to do another water change in hopes of turning him around tonight, and he's gone. I'm most definitely feeling "be careful what you wish for".

Now I have a huge tank (90 gallons) and 4 fish, well I also have a placosumus and 2-3 lochas (they have a hidy hole and I don't know if I have 2 or 3 as I never see them all at the same time) It may be time for some more fish, but the only thing the Discus will except is you guess it, more Discus. Maybe I'll find a local breeder, no more stress of shipping them from California or the Midwest.

No comments: